Tuesday, December 6, 2011

To Dairy or Not To Dairy?

As someone who is into nutrition and has battled being lactose intolerant, I wanted to share this insightful information and feedback from the respected Doctor Angela Culveyhouse in Lake Worth, Florida.


The big debate!!!!  I am a huge advocate for The Biggest Loser TV Show.  I think it is amazing how the show helps people change their own lives.  It is a lifelong decision to be healthy and take care of yourself.  Numerous people want a quick fix and unfortunately those are the people that unless they make lifelong decisions on habits they will continue a yo-yo weight problem.  We all know these people that for the last 10 years have been on a diet and never really changed too much or too long with their weight.  With that in mind, The Biggest Loser, really does a fabulous job with educating people to how they can take control & make a change in their own lives.  It truly is an inspirational show and I will admit that I cry at least half the time I watch the show. 

With my love of the show said, as I was watching the Thanksgiving special, there was a dietician making healthy meals for thanksgiving dinner.  One of these dishes was a low-cal pumpkin pie.  The dietician said use coconut milk instead of regular milk because it makes the dish non-dairy.  I'm not sure why there is such negativity with anything "Dairy" these days.  Obviously if someone is eating ice cream and drinking heavy cream every day, yes it is bad, but that does not mean ALL dairy is bad.  So since I love Thai & Ethnic food and love cooking, I have some Coconut Milk in the pantry, which is actually "lite" coconut milk.  After watching this show I felt the need to compare the Lite Coconut Milk with the Skim Milk in the fridge.  My results...


Lite Coconut Milk- 
Serving size 1 cup
Calories 150
Total Fat 13.5g
Saturated Fat 12g
Protein 3g




Lactaid Skim Milk
Serving size 1 cup
Calories 90
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Protein 8g




As much as things sound so much better in theory being "non-diary" I suggest just read the labels.  It takes a little more time & effort to read labels & compare but in the end it pays off.  Don't be afraid of dairy just because you think it is more fattening, it might surprise you!  If you are lactose intolerant then choose the Lactaid Milk like I use.  Dairy is full of protein and calcium.  Some of the low-cal, low-fat dairy dishes I like are cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, milk, greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, quiche and smoothies (keep in mind I always buy fat free or low fat). 

"To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."  Buddha

For more information about Dr Angela Culveyhouse, please log onto: http://www.pbchirocenter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment